The Astronomical Society “Leo Brenner” was founded in 1994 in a very significant time just about the 100th anniversary of The Observatory “Manora” founded by Leo Brenner (Spiridion Gopčević) in 1893/1894 in Mali Lošinj (Croatia).
The Society was founded after a few years of great efforts made by Valter Martinolić who started astronomy classes in the elementary school in Mali Lošinj in 1987 and who became the first president of the Society.
The main activities of the Society are:
- astronomy classes for elementary, middle and high school pupils;
- historical research regarding the astronomical history of the island Lošinj;
- organization of public observations, lectures and exhibitions;
- fight against light pollution;
- meteor observation within The Croatian Meteor Network;
- publishing and many other activities.
Founding assembly in 1994